Sunday, June 7, 2009

Small Biz Bee: How to Decide to Quit the Day Job to Start a Business

By Matthew Ringer

Today is the first part of our four part series in response to a reader’s question. Today we’re looking at how to decide it’s worth quitting the safe, well paid day job to start a business.

I’m choosing to focus on the personal, emotional, side of that question and in the upcoming parts to this series I’ll cover the economical side of going into business.
You have a lot to think about and consider when transitioning from full time employment to starting your own business…let’s get started.

First Things First

The first thing you have to consider when contemplating starting your own business, and thus leaving the creature comforts of the “day job” is: Do you really want to quit your job?

When I finally took the leap and started my company I thought there was no way I would miss the 9-5. And for the most part I didn’t, but every so often I’d miss work friends, or the “steadiness” of it.

I don’t regret the decision one bit, but I still had to work through the emotional side of not working for anyone but myself.

Think about the following: (more)

No comments:

Post a Comment