Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Business Writing: When Plain Speech Becomes Sloppy Writing

By Lynn Gaertner-Johnston

have been reading my health plan's new description of plans and benefits, which came in the mail recently. The company is raising health care premiums 13 percent. As someone who already pays over $800 each month for coverage for our family of three, I am reading the information carefully in search of ways to cut our costs responsibly.

In my careful reading, I came across these folksy headings:

"Here's the stuff you need to know so there are no surprises down the road."

"Yes, here's more fine print, but please give it a read. It's important stuff."

Stuff? Give it a read? Important stuff?

I am all for a breezy, informal style. I nearly always use one on this blog, but I am not writing to customers about health care benefits and costs. (more)

No comments:

Post a Comment